Monday, December 26, 2011

UFC on Fox 2's Phil Davis on Rashad Evans - "We're both known for excellent wrestling, but only one of us actually has it"

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

UFC_on_Fox_logo_9.jpg
Phil Davis is taking another major leap forward in his career next month when he meets former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans in the main event of the UFC's second card on Fox. The undefeated 27-year-old brings a fantastic wrestling game into the fight, and though Evans' wrestling game has long been touted in the sport as well, Davis plans to show the difference between the two in this fight.

"We're both known for excellent wrestling, but only one of us actually has it," Davis said during a media scrum last weekend in San Diego (captured by ProMMANow.com). "So, I'm thinking about using the wrestling and mixing it up and doing what I can... There is no point in my career where I plan on abandoning wrestling. It's always a part of my game plan. It's who I am, it's my strong suit. That is something that I am going to go into every fight making my opponent respect."

Davis respects Evans as a dangerous opponent, but doesn't feel there will be any surprises out of the former Champ.

"I think he's the same old Rashad, which is very dangerous, very skilled," Davis said. "He's definitely gotten better over the years, but I think he's the same old guy."

While he feels the wrestling game plays to his benefit, he's also looking to work his budding jiu jitsu game into the fight, and wants to test out just how good Evans is off his back.

"I've got to stay strong in jiu-jitsu [into this fight] because the fight will go there and I can't let Rashad Evans stand back up," he said, discussing how important jiu jitsu will be in the fight. "How good is Rashad's jiu-jitsu on his back? I don't know, but we'll find out."

Penick's Analysis: That line about the wrestling both possess is a complete money quote from Phil Davis. That's just a straight jab at Evans' perceived strength, and he plans to show it's not quite the strength others believe. This is a big challenge for the rising Davis, and it's going to be the toughest fight of his young career, but he sounds ready for it, and should be a game opponent for Evans in Chicago. If he can plant Evans on his back and keep him there it will be something we haven't seen in the Octagon, and will give Evans a chance to show a different side of his game as well. This should be a good one for the second Fox event.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_11850.shtml

Leonard Garcia Andrew Gardner Tiki Ghosn Dennis George Kultar Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment