Wednesday, May 4, 2011

QUOTABLES: Jake Shields disappointed in UFC 129 performance, hopes to get another title shot before he retires

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

ShieldsJake_150_6.jpg
"Obviously I'm not happy. I went in there, and I came up short. Georges has great stand-up, and he kept me away. I couldn't get him down. He did a great job of stuffing my shots... I guess I need to go back, work on my boxing, and get better... I wanted to take him down. I don't know. He stuffed my first couple shots. I don't know why I started boxing him. I should have just started shooting. It's easy to look back now and be like, 'I really screwed that up.' Georges is a great fighter. He fought great. He was evasive, and I couldn't get after him. He had a great game plan... Hopefully my next fight will look completely different. Hopefully before I retire, I'll get another title shot."

-Jake Shields talks to MMAJunkie.com following his loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 129 on Saturday night.

Penick's Analysis: For whatever reason, Shields simply got away from trying to do what he came into that fight to do on Saturday night. When he stopped looking for the takedowns is when he lost any chance at all of winning the fight. It's good to see he realizes the mistakes that were made in the fight on his end, and he's a smart fighter that will bounce back, but especially with St. Pierre having issues with his eye in the fight it was a massive missed opportunity for Shields. It was just confusing to watch, but he's not likely to employ the same tactics in the future after the way that fight played out.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_9218.shtml

Jason Guida Melvin Guillard Cody Guinn Jorge Gurgel Andre Gusmao

No comments:

Post a Comment