Monday, February 14, 2011

HYDEN BLOG: The Greatness of Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen's Delusion and Rashad Evans Thoughts

By: Frank Hyden, MMATorch contributor

Staff08Hyden_Main_36.jpg
Anderson Silva's knockout kick to Vitor Belfort's face from UFC 126 is a huge highlight, no question. What's also without question to me is that Silva is the best fighter in the world. I love Georges St. Pierre, but he's not Anderson Silva. When I say best fighter, I don't mean best pound-for-pound fighter, I mean the best period. My dislike for the pound-for-pound moniker is well-known, but this is separate.

Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the world, and is capable of beating anyone else, no matter their size. I said a long time ago that I thought Silva would beat Brock Lesnar. A lot of people agreed, a lot didn't. We all saw Lesnar get knocked around by Cain Velasquez. Cain is a good striker, but Silva is the best striker in the history of fighting. That includes any and all boxers, K-1 fighters, Muay Thai guys, whoever you want to name. I don't believe anyone is as good as Anderson Silva, both offensively and defensively.

I know eventually someone will come along that is as good as, and will be better than, Anderson Silva. It's the nature of sports that athletes keep getting better and better. Time slows everyone down, to the point that eventually no amount of skill and technique can overcome it. There are very few Randy Coutures and Hershel Walkers out there, who are able to push back the hands of time. Anderson Silva will decline like every fighter will. He'll get beaten one of these times, it's just a matter of who does it and when.

There is a fighter out there right now who I think have what it takes to beat Silva. It may take them a little more time to ascend to Silva's level, but I he has a great shot at doing it. That fighter is Jon Jones. At the same time, though, I'd be crazy to not mention Georges St. Pierre as someone who could be better than Silva is right now. GSP is only 29 years old so he'll get better and better as well.

I love the fact that Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre exist in the same time frame. At another point in time, GSP would be the unquestioned best in the world. Instead, we?re witness to what could possibly be the 2 best fighters of all-time, dominating at the same time. Guys like Jon Jones and Jose Aldo are driven to be as good as Silva and GSP are, that's why I think they'll eventually be better. That may or may not come to pass, but we'll definitely all enjoy watching them try to make that true.

*************

Chael Sonnen is completely delusional. In an interview with PaulLazenby.com Chael went on
a rant about how Anderson Silva revealed a weakness during his fight with Vitor Belfort. Seems to me that Silva knocked out a great striker and also avoided being touched at all by a great striker. The Matrix moves were in full effect as Silva bobbed away from any Belfort punches. If you haven't read the exact quotes, go check them out. Just make sure you're not drinking anything at the time, better to avoid a spit-take.

*************

Rashad Evans says he won't fight Jon Jones. Rashad says he'll change weight classes rather than fight his friend Jones, assuming Jones beats Mauricio "Shogun" Rua for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title. I can understand two friends not wanting to fight each other so I can't take issue with Rashad feeling that way. Rashad said he would either go back to Heavyweight or go to Middleweight instead of fighting Jones. My biggest question is how would Rashad make 185 lbs.? I don't think he?d be able to do that much weight-cutting.


Comments and suggestions can be e-mailed to me at hydenfrank@gmail.com

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/hydenstake/article_8399.shtml

Eddie Alvarez Thiago Alves  Andre Amade  Dean Amasinger  Jimmy Ambriz

No comments:

Post a Comment