Saturday, February 19, 2011

UFC NEWS: Kenny Florian dropping down to featherweight division

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

FlorianKenny_CG_150_41.jpg
Two-time Lightweight Title challenger Kenny Florian is officially making the drop to the featherweight division.

Florian revealed the move to his MMA Live colleague Franklin McNeil late Monday night, and is expecting to make his debut in the division as early as this June.

"I started playing around with the idea: could I make 145? Originally, I didn't think it was possible," Florian said. "I spoke with a few nutritionists, got their opinions, told them what my body fat was, my walking-around weight, all that stuff and the general consensus was that it was very possible.

"I put a lot of thought into it, spoke with my coaches and everybody involved and decided that I am going to try it. I'm going to go for it."

According to Florian and his manager Malki Kawa, they are looking to fight a top guy in the featherweight division in order for him to prove himself as a 145 lb. fighter before pursuing a title opportunity. Florian says the UFC is behind him on the move, but he's not looking for it to be a permanent move.

"[The UFC] is very supportive," Florian said. "They're very excited about the move. I've spoken to [UFC president] Dana White, [matchmakers] Joe Silva and Sean Shelby -- they're all excited. And I'm excited. I'm very motivated.

"For me it's first things first. My goal is to get the 145-pound belt, and then go up to 155 and challenge for that belt as well."

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: This is a great move for Florian. After challenging for the Lightweight Title twice and failing to capture it, a rebirth in the featherweight division could be just what he needs. A bout between Florian and Chad Mendes sounds highly appealing, as do bouts for Florian against Dustin Poirier or Erik Koch. Those would be my top three choices, and Florian would likely get a title shot with a win over any of them.

[Kenny Florian art by Cory Gould (c) MMATorch.com]

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_8390.shtml

Junie Browning Paul Buentello  Josh Burkman  Mikey Burnett  Murilo Bustamante 

No comments:

Post a Comment